Prof LU Aiping
- Dean of Chinese Medicine; Dr. Kennedy Y.H. Wong Endowed Chair of Chinese Medicine; Director, Institute for Advancing Translational Medicine in Bone & Joint Diseases; Director, Shum Yiu Foon Shum Bik Chuen Memorial Centre for Cancer & Inflammation Research
- Expert in Chinese Medicine, Clinical Pharmacology and Arthritis and related new drug discovery
Professor Lu received his first degree in Chinese Medicine from the Jiangxi University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, and obtained his master’s and PhD degrees from the China Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine (now called the China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, CACMS). In 1987 he joined the China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences. He was the Academy’s Director of Institute of Basic Theory and the Deputy Director of the Institute of Basic Research in Clinical Medicine of CACMS. From 2002 to 2006, he served as General Director of the National Pharmaceutical Engineering Centre for Solid Preparations (one of four centres in China in the field of traditional Chinese medicine). He has been invited to serve as Visiting Scholar in a number of institutions including Lund University in Sweden, Ohio State University in the United States, Hong Kong Polytechnic University and Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
An outstanding researcher, Professor Lu’s research interests focus on the clinical evaluation with RCT focusing on rheumatoid arthritis (RA) with TCM pattern diagnosis, standardization of Chinese medicine diagnosis, the association of Chinese medicine with the outcome of disease treatment, and research and development of new drugs. He has carried out several major research projects funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), Ministry of Science and Technology of the PRC and so on. Prof Lu has published more than 300 articles and obtained more than 40 patents.
Prof Lu is regarded as a leading figure in the standardization of Chinese medicine diagnosis. Not only has he earned international reputation for his work, his distinguished achievements are also widely recognized through numerous awards and prizes received over years.
- Lu C, Xiao C, Chen G, Jiang M, Zha Q, Yan X, Kong W, Lu A. Cold and heat pattern of rheumatoid arthritis in traditional Chinese medicine: distinct molecular signatures indentified by microarray expression profiles in CD4-positive T cell. Rheumatol Int. 2012 Jan;32(1):61-8.
- Lu AP*, Chen KJ. Chinese medicine pattern diagnosis could lead to innovation in medical sciences. Chin J Integr Med. 2011 Nov;17(11):811-7.
- Zhang C, Jiang M, Lu AP*. Evidence-based Chinese medicine for rheumatoid arthritis. J Tradit Chin Med. 2011 Jun;31(2):152-7.
- He X, Li X, Liu B, Xu L, Zhao H, Lu A*. Down-regulation of Treg cells and up-regulation of TH1/TH2 cytokine ratio were induced by polysaccharide from Radix Glycyrrhizae in H22 hepatocarcinoma bearing mice. Molecules. 2011 Sep 30;16(10):8343-52.
- Liu DY, Zhao HM, Cheng SM, Rao Y, Huang XY, Zuo ZQ, Lei M, Guan YM, Liu HN, Lu AP*. Scorpio and Scolopendra attenuate inflammation and articular damage in rats with collagen-induced arthritis. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011 Sep 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lu A*, Jiang M, Zhang C, Chan K. An integrative approach of linking traditional Chinese medicine pattern classification and biomedicine diagnosis. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011 Aug 30. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jiang M, Zha Q, He Y, Lu A*. Risk factors of gastrointestinal and hepatic adverse drug reactions in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with biomedical combination therapy and Chinese medicine. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011 Jul 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Zheng G, Jiang M, He X, Zhao J, Guo H, Chen G, Zha Q, Lu A*. Discrete derivative: a data slicing algorithm for exploration of sharing biological networks between rheumatoid arthritis and coronary heart disease. BioData Min. 2011 Jun 23;4:18.
- Jiang M, Xiao C, Chen G, Lu C, Zha Q, Yan X, Kong W, Xu S, Ju D, Xu P, Zou Y, Lu A*. Correlation between cold and hot pattern in traditional Chinese medicine and gene expression profiles in rheumatoid arthritis. Front Med. 2011 Jun;5(2):219-28.
- Wei J, Xie G, Ge S, Qiu Y, Liu W, Lu A, Chen T, Li H, Zhou ZT, Jia W. Metabolic Transformation of DMBA-induced Carcinogenesis and Inhibitory Effect of Salvianolic Acid B and Breviscapine Treatment. J Proteome Res. 2011 Nov 25.
- Liu DY, Zhao HM, Cheng SM, Rao Y, Huang XY, Zuo ZQ, Lei M, Guan YM, Liu HN, Lu AP. Scorpio and Scolopendra attenuate inflammation and articular damage in rats with collagen-induced arthritis. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011 Sep 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gong Y, Zha Q, Li L, Liu Y, Yang B, Liu L, Lu A, Lin Y, Jiang M. Efficacy and safety of Fufangkushen colon-coated capsule in the treatment of ulcerative colitis compared with mesalazine: A double-blinded and randomized study. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011 Sep 6.
- Lin X, Zhang J, Li Y, Luo H, Wu Q, Sun C, Song J, Li X, Wei J, Lu A, Qian Z, Khan IA, Chen S. Functional genomics of a living fossil tree, Ginkgo, based on next-generation sequencing technology. Physiol Plant. 2011 Nov;143(3):207-18. doi: 10.1111/j.1399-3054.2011.01500.x. Epub 2011 Sep 15. PubMed PMID: 21834857.
- Sun Y, Luo H, Li Y, Sun C, Song J, Niu Y, Zhu Y, Dong L, Lu A, Tramontano E, Chen S. Pyrosequencing of the Camptotheca acuminata transcriptome Reveals Putative Genes Involved in Camptothecin Biosynthesis and Transport. BMC Genomics. 2011 Oct 30;12(1):533.
- Chen S, Luo H, Li Y, Sun Y, Wu Q, Niu Y, Song J, Lu A, Zhu Y, Sun C, Steinmetz A, Qian Z. 454 EST analysis detects genes putatively involved in ginsenoside biosynthesis in Panax ginseng. Plant Cell Rep. 2011 Sep;30(9):1593-601.
- Liu Z, Liu Y, Wang C, Guo N, Song Z, Wang C, Xia L, Lu A*. Comparative Analyses of Chromatographic Fingerprints of the Roots of Polygonum multiflorum Thunb. and Their Processed Products Using RRLC/DAD/ESI-MSn. Planta Med. 2011 Nov;77(16):1855-60.
- Jiang M, Zha Q, Lu C, He Y, Lu A*. Association between tongue appearance in traditional Chinese medicine and effective response in treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Complement Ther Med. 2011 Jun;19(3):115-21.
- Zhang C, Jiang M, Lu A*. A traditional Chinese medicine versus Western combination therapy in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: two-stage study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2011 Jun 4;12:137.
- Zhang C, Zha QL, He YT, Jiang M, Lü C, Lu AP*. The extraarticular symptoms influence ACR response in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with biomedicine: a single-blind, randomized, controlled, multicenter trial in 194 patients. J Tradit Chin Med. 2011 Mar;31(1):50-5.
- Jiang M, Zhang C, Cao H, Chan K, Lu A*. The role of Chinese medicine in the treatment of chronic diseases in China. Planta Med. 2011 Jun;77(9):873-81.
- Li J, Lu Y, Xiao C, Lu C, Niu X, He X, Zhao H, Tan Y, Lu A*. Comparison of toxic reaction of Tripterygium wilfordii multiglycoside in normal and adjuvant arthritic rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011 May 17;135(2):270-7.
- Liu Z, Liu Y, Chao Z, Song Z, Wang C, Lu A*. In vitro antioxidant activities of maillard reaction products produced in the steaming process of Polygonum multiflorum root. Nat Prod Commun. 2011 Jan;6(1):55-8.
- Liang Z, Zhu X, Yang X, Fu W, Lu A*. Assessment of a traditional acupuncture therapy for chronic neck pain: a pilot randomised controlled study. Complement Ther Med. 2011 Jan;19 Suppl 1:S26-32.
- Zhao N, Zhang W, Guo Y, Jia H, Zha Q, Liu Z, Xu S, Lu A*. Effects on neuroendocrinoimmune network of Lizhong Pill in the reserpine induced rats with spleen deficiency in traditional Chinese medicine. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011 Jan 27;133(2):454-9.
- Xiao C, Li J, Dong X, He X, Niu X, Liu C, Zhong G, Bauer R, Yang D, Lu A*. Anti-oxidative and TNF-α suppressive activities of puerarin derivative (4AC) in RAW264.7 cells and collagen-induced arthritic rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2011 Sep;666(1-3):242-50.
- Chen G, Liu B, Jiang M, Tan Y, Lu A*. Functional networks for Salvia miltiorrhiza and Panax notoginseng in combination explored with text mining and bioinformatical approach. J Med Plants Res. 2011,5(17):4030-4040
- Zhang C, Jiang M, Lu A*. Chinese herbal medicines versus disease modifying antirheumatic drugs for management of rheumatoid arthritis: A systematic review. Eur J Integ Med. 2011,3(3):e219-e231
- Jiang M, Yang J, Zhang C, Liu B, Chan K, Cao H, Lu A*. Clinical studies with traditional Chinese medicine in the past decade and future research and development. Planta Med. 2010 Dec; 76(17):2048-64.
- Zhao N, Zhang W, Guo Y, Jia H, Zha Q, Liu Z, Xu S, Lu A*. Effects on neuroendocrinoimmune network of Lizhong Pill in the reserpine induced rats with spleen deficiency in traditional Chinese medicine. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011 Jan 27; 133(2): 454-9.
- Li S, Lu A*, Wang Y. Symptomatic comparison in efficacy on patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia treated with two therapeutic approaches. Complement Ther Med. 2010 Feb;18(1):21-7.
- Jiang M, Zhao J, Lu A*, Zha Q, He Y. Does gastrointestinal adverse drug reaction influence therapeutic effect in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis? J Altern Complement Med. 2010 Feb;16(2):143-4.
- Zhao H, Luo Y, Lu C, Lin N, Xiao C, Guan S, Guo D, Liu Z, Ju D, He X, Lu A*. Enteric Mucosal Immune Response might Trigger the Immunomodulation Activity of Ganoderma lucidum Polysaccharide in Mice. Planta Med. 2010, 76(3): 223-7.
- Luo Y, Zhao H, Liu Z, Ju D, He X, Xiao C, Zhong G, Chen S, Yang D, Chan A, Lu A*. Comparison of the Enteric Mucosal Immunomodulatory Activity of Combinations of Coptis chinensis Franch. Rhizomes and Evodia rutaecarpa (Juss.) Benth. Fruits in Mice with Dextran Sulphate Sodium-Induced Ulcerative Colitis. Planta Med. 2010; 76:1-7.
- van Wietmarschen H, Yuan K, Lu C, Gao P, Wang J, Xiao C, Yan X, Wang M, Schroën J, Lu A*, Xu G, van der Greef J.. Systems biology guided by Traditional Chinese Medicine reveals new diagnostic markers for rheumatoid arthritis. J Clin Rheumatol. J Clin Rheumatol. 2009;15(7):330-7.
- Xiao C, Lu C, Zhao H, Lu A*. The effect of triptolide on CD4+ and CD8+ cells in Peyer’s patch of DA rats with collagen induced arthritis. Natural Products Research. 2009;23(18):1699-706.
- Lu C, Zha Q, Chang A, He Y, Lu A*. Pattern Differentiation in Traditional Chinese Medicine Can Help Define Specific Indications for Biomedical Therapy in the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis. J Altern Complement Med. 2009;15(9):1021-5.
- Xiao C, Zhou J, He Y, Jia H, Zhao L, Zhao N, Lu A*. Effects of triptolide from Radix Tripterygium wilfordii (Leigongteng) on cartilage cytokines and transcription factor NF-kappaB: a study on induced arthritis in rats. Chin Med. 2009; 4:13
- Lu A*, Chen KJ. Integrative medicine in clinical practice: from pattern differentiation in traditional Chinese medicine to disease treatment. Chin J Integr Med 2009; 15:152
- Liu Z, Chao Z, Liu Y, Song Z, Lu A*. Maillard Reaction Involved in the Steaming Process of the Root of Polygonum multiflorum. Planta Medecine. 2009; 75(1):84-8.
Full List of Publications