SCM at a Glance
Pioneer and Leader in Chinese medicine
- First School of Chinese Medicine offering full-time UGC-funded programmes in Hong Kong, established in 1999.
- Offers Hong Kong's first and only UGC-funded Bachelor of Chinese Medicine and Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Biomedical Science double degree programme (BCM), launched in 1998.
- Launched in 2001 and runs Hong Kong's first and only UGC-funded Bachelor of Pharmacy (Hons) in Chinese Medicine programme (BPharm).
- Boasts first purpose-built school of Chinese medicine building with herbal garden, first and only Chinese medicine museum, Chinese medicines centre and Chinese medicine library in a Hong Kong university.
- Key player in education, research and healthcare services in Chinese medicine in Hong Kong and beyond.
- Set up in 2011 the biennial Cheung On Tak International Award for Outstanding Contribution to Chinese Medicine carrying a prize award of HK$500,000.
- Set up in 2018 the Hong Kong Baptist University–Jockey Club Chinese Medicine Disease Prevention and Health Management Centre, the first university-run healthcare centre of its kind in Hong Kong founded on the core concepts of Chinese medicine disease prevention and body constitution.
- Comprehensive programme profile
- Focus research areas
- Precision medicine and phenomics
- Translational medicine and innovative drug discovery
- Authentication and testing of Chinese medicines
- Robust research at 10 research centres
- Set up 6 joint research establishments in collaboration with universities/research institutes and 2 research bases in Shenzhen and Changshu
- Research Assessment Exercise 2014
- 4% of the projects submitted by SCM rated four-star (world leading)—top among local institutions in the field of Chinese medicine
- 18% of the projects rated three-star (international excellence)
- 72% of the research projects attained two-star (international standing) or above
- Won 28 competitive external research grants totalling HK$18,761,551 and RMB3,717,000 in 2017-18.
- Published 112 papers in international SCI journals in 2017-18, with 27 of them published in journals with an impact factor of 5.0 or above.
- Largest network of 17 Chinese medicine clinics among universities in Hong Kong
- 10 clinics operated by SCM (including the Hong Kong Baptist University–Jockey Club Chinese Medicine Disease Prevention and Health Management Centre)
- 7 clinics operated in collaboration with Hospital Authority and NGOs
- First-rate Chinese medicine specialty services provided by Chinese medicine experts
- Clinical services informed by clinical studies
- Subsidy schemes for underprivileged elderly for attending HKBU Chinese medicine clinics
- Talks and seminars for Chinese medicine practitioners and the public
Last updated: 22 May 2019