Dr ZHONG Lidan
- Assistant Professor, Teaching and Research Division
- Expert in Clinical Research on Gastroenterology, Gynecology, and Rheumatology with Chinese Medicine and Integrative Medicine, Evidence-based Approaches and Epidemiological Research with Chinese Medicine and Integrative Medicine
Dr. Zhong obtained her Bachelor of Medicine and Master of Clinical Medicine at Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine in 2002 and 2007 respectively. She obtained her Doctor Degree in Chinese Medicine Research at LKS Faculty of Medicine, the University of Hong Kong in 2012. Then she joined clinical division, School of Chinese Medicine, Hong Kong Baptist as post-doctoral research fellow and research assistant professor. Her research mainly focuses on clinical research of gastroenterology, gynecology, rheumatology and the standardization of Chinese Medicine. She worked in Long Hua Hospital, Shang Hai University of TCM since 2002 and instructed by renowned Chinese Medicine expert Prof. Chen Xiang Jun. The research project entitled as “The Mechanism of Nourishing Qi to Treat Mild and Moderate Active Systematic Lupus Erythematosus” was awarded the First Prize of Shang Hai Science and Technology Advancement Award of Traditional Chinese Medicine in 2011. Her research project entitled as “Study on Key Problems of Chinese Herbal Formula MaZiRenWan for Functional Constipation” was awarded the Second Prize of International Award for Contribution to Chinese Medicine Achievement Award in Medical Science in 2018. Dr. Zhong was appointed as Visiting Scholar in UCLA Centre for East-West Medicine, Visiting Scholar in Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School and Visiting Professor in Centre for Integrative Medicine, University of Toronto. She has published more than 60 articles in international journals as well as edited ten academic books and acted as investigators of more than twenty clinical research projects.
For more details, please refer to the website of Hong Kong Chinese Medicine Clinical Study Centre (https://cmcs.hkbu.edu.hk/ueditor/php/upload/file/20190829/1567041243182658.pdf)
Graduate Student, Postdoctoral Fellow and Research Assistant
Inquiries for the posts are always welcome. Please email Dr. Zhong if interested.
- Zhong LLD, Yan PJ, Lam WC, Yao L, Bian ZX. Coriolus versicolor and Ganoderma lucidum Related Natural Products as An Adjunct Therapy for Cancers: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Front Pharmacol. 2019 Jul 3;10:703. doi: 10.3389/fphar.2019.00703. eCollection 2019.
- Pun J, Chor W, Zhong LLD*. Delivery of patient-centered care in complementary medicine: Insights and evidence from the Chinese medical practitioners and patients in primary care consultations in Hong Kong. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. June, 2019.
- Dai L, Zhong LLD (Co-first authors) , Kun W, Yang Z, Lam WC, Cheng CW, Bian ZX. An External CAM Therapy (Tian Jiu) versus Placebo in Treatment of Allergic Rhinitis: A Pilot Single-Blinded, Three-Arm, Randomized Controlled Study. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Volume 2019, Article ID 6369754
- Lam WC, Zhong LLD, Liu YQ, Shi NN, Ng Bacon, Ziea Eric, Bian ZX, Lu AP. Hong Kong Chinese Medicine Clinical Practice Guideline for Cancer Palliative Care - Pain, Constipation and Insomnia. eCAM. 2019: 1038206. doi: 10.1155/2019/1038206
- Dai L, Cheng CW, Tian R, Zhong LLD, Li YP, Lyu AP, Chan AW, Shang HC, Bian ZX. Standard Protocol Items for Clinical Trials with Traditional Chinese Medicine 2018: Recommendations, Explanation and Elaboration (SPIRIT-TCM Extension 2018). Chin J Integr Med. 2018 Nov. doi: 10.1007/s11655-018-2999-x. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hu ZC, Ge LD, Liu T, Zhong LLD*. How to focus on the safety assessment of herb-drug interaction in real world studies. Chinese Journal of Evidence-based Medicine, 2018, 18(11):1158-1162.
- Zhong LLD, Cheng CW, Kun W, Dai L, Hu DD, Ning ZW, Xiao HT, Lin CY, Zhao L, Huang T, Tian K, Chan KH, Lam TY, Chen XR, Wong CT, Li M, Lu AP, Wu JC, Bian ZX. Chinese herbal medicine (MaZiRenWan) for Functional Constipation: A Three-arm, Randomized, Controlled Trial. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2018 Apr 12. pii: S1542-3565(18)30341-0. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2018.04.005.
- Cheng CW, Zhang L, Zhao C, Zhong LLD, Shi LJ, Dai L, Zheng R, Chen J, Li G, Zhai JB, Kun W, Lu AP, Shang HC, Bian ZX. Whether Syndrome Differentiation Affects Treatment Result: Study Protocol of MaZiRenWan for Functional Constipation in A Randomized Controlled Trial. Chin J Integr Med. 2018 Aug 14. doi: 10.1007/s11655-018-2848-y. [Epub ahead of print]
- Huang T, Ning ZW, Hu DD, Zhang M, Zhao L, Lin CY, Zhong LLD, Yang ZJ, Xu HX, Bian ZX. Uncovering the Mechanisms of Chinese Herbal Medicine (MaZiRenWan) for Fonctional Constipation by Focused Network Pharmacology Approach. Frontiers in Pharmacology March 2018, 9:270
- Huang T, Zhong LLD, Lin, CY, Zhao L, Ning ZW, Hu DD, Zhang M, Tian K, Cheng CW, Bian ZX. Approaches in studying the pharmacology of Chinese Medicine formulas: bottom-up, top-down—and meeting in the middle. Chinese Medicine, 2018, 13:15.
- Hu DD, Zhong LLD, Kun W, Mu HX, Lin CY, Zhao L, Dai L, Huang T, Bian ZX. Evaluation of the Pharmacokinetics and Renal Excretion of Ma-Zi-Ren-Wan in Health Subjects. World J Tradit Chin Med. 2017; 3 (2):8-15.
- Mi H, Zhong LLD, Huang T, Lin CY, Zhao L, Hu DD, Xiao HT, Bian ZX, Liu FB. Chinese Herbal Medicine for Ulcerative Colitis: A Systematic Review Protocol. World J Tradit Chin Med. 2017; 3(2):16-19.
- Liu M, Zhang C, Zha Q, Yang W, Yuwen Y, Zhong LLD, Bian ZX, Han XJ, Lu AP. A national survey of Chinese medicine doctors and clinical practice guidelines in China. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017 Sep 6;17(1):451.
- Dai L, Lu A, Zhong LLD*, Zheng G, Bian Z. Chinese Herbal Medicine for Hyperlipidaemia: a Review Based on Data Mining from 1990 to 2016. Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2017 Jul 13. doi: 10.2174/1570161115666170713163127.
- Huang T, Mi H, Lin CY, Zhao L, Zhong LLD, Liu FB, Zhang G, Lu AP, Bian ZX. MOST: most-similar ligand based approach to target prediction. BMC Bioinformatics. 2017 Mar 11;18(1):165. doi: 10.1186/s12859-017-1586-z.
- Liu M, Zhang C, Zha Q, Yang W, Yuwen Y, Zhong LLD, Bian Z, Han X, Lu A. Attitudes to personalized versus standardized practice in traditional Chinese medicine: a national cross-sectional survey of practitioners in China. Lancet. 2016, 288, Suppl 1:S59.
- Zhong LLD, Kun W, Lam TF, Zhang SP, Yang JJ, Ziea TC, Ng B, Bian ZX. The combination effects of body acupuncture and auricular acupressure compared to sham acupuncture for body weight control: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials, 2016:17(1):346.
- Zhong LLD, Kun W, Shi NN, Ziea TC, Ng B, Gao Y, Bian ZX, Lu AP*. Evidence-based Chinese Medicine Clinical Practice Guideline for Stroke in Hong Kong. J Tradit Chin Med. (Accepted)
- Dai L, Zhong LLD (Co-first author), Cao Y, Chen W, Cheng Y, Lin XF, Bian ZX, Lu AP*. Efficacy and safety of Yirui capsule in patients with hyperlipidemia: study protocol for a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Trials. 2016,17(1):291.
- Kun W, Zhong LLD, Dai L, Cheng CW, Lu AP, Bian ZX. Tian Jiu therapy for allergic rhinitis: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2016; 17(1):248. doi: 10.1186/s13063-016-1374-5.
- Zhong LLD, Zheng G, Ge LD, Lin CY, Huang T, Zhao L, Lu C, Lu AP, Bian ZX. Chinese herbal medicine for constipation: Zheng-based associations among herbs, formula, proprietary, and herb-drug interactions. Chinese Medicine. 2016 Jun 23;11:28. doi: 10.1186/s13020-016-0099-4.
- Liu T, Wang N, Zhang L, Zhong LLD*. Chinese herbal medicine for functional abdominal syndrome: from clinical findings to basic understandings. Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine. 2016;2016:8652523. doi: 10.1155/2016/8652523.
- Wang FY, Zhong LLD (Co-first author), Kang N, Dai L, Lv L, Bian LQ, Chen T, Zhang BH, Bian ZX, Wang XG, Zhu EL, Tang XD. Chinese herbal formula for postprandial distress syndrome: study protocol of a double-blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. European Journal of Integrative Medicine. Available online 17 March, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.eujim.2016.03.010.
- Zhong LLD, Kun W, Cheng CW, Zhao L, Lin CY, Huang T, Bian ZX. Tolerability, exposure and pharmacokinetics in healthy subjects of a Chinese herbal medicine MaZiRenWan (MZRW): study protocol of a randomized open-labelled, three-arm phase 0/1 clinical trial. European Journal of Integrative Medicine. Available online 15 March, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.eujim.2016.03.008.
- Zhong LLD, Shi NN, Dai L, Ziea TC, Ng B, Tang XD, Bian ZX, Lu AP. Evidence-Based Chinese Medicine Clinical Guideline for Stomach Pain in Hong Kong. Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine. 2016 Jun 23.
- Lu L, Zhang XG, Zhong LLD, Chen ZX, Li Y, Zheng GQ, Bian ZX. Acupuncture for neurogenesis in experimental ischemic stroke: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sci Rep. 2016 Jan 20;6:19521.
- Zhong LLD, Bian ZX. Review of therapeutic evaluation methods of Chinese Medicine treating chronic constipation [Chinese]. J Tradit Chin Med. 2015; 56(23): 2010-2012.
- Zhong LLD, Cheng CW, Bian ZX. Comment on efficacy evaluation methods of Chinese Medicine in treating diarrhea of tumor patients after radiotherapy and chemotherapy [Chinese]. J Tradit Chin Med. 2015; 56(21): 1831-1835.
- Hu DD, Han QB, Zhong LLD, Li YH, Lin CY, Ho HM, Zhang M, Lin SH, Zhao L, Huang T, Mi H, Tan HS, Xu HX, Bian ZX. Simultaneous determination of ten compounds in rat plasma by UPLC-MS/MS: Application in the pharmacokinetic study of Ma-Zi-Ren-Wan. Journal of Chromatography B. 2015;1000:136-46
- Fu SF, Kun W, Zeng XX, Zhang L, Cheng CW, Zhong LLD, Lin J, Zhang BL, Wang YY, Shang HC, Bian ZX*. Urgent Need to improve the quality of case report in traditional Chinese medicine: assessment of reporting quality of 3417 cases. Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine. 2016, Jan 23.
- Fu SF, Cheng CW, Zhang L, Zhong LLD, Kun W, Lin J, Zhang BL, Wang YY, Shang HC, Bian ZX*. Consensus-based Recommendations for case report in Chinese Medicine (CARC). Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine. 2016, 22 (1):73-9.
- Song TJ, Leng HF, Zhong LLD, Wu TX, Moher D, Bian ZX. CONSORT in China: A decade development and future direction. Trials. 2015; 16(1):243.
- Shi NN, Zhong LLD (Co-first author), Han XJ, Ziea Eric, Ng Bacon, Bian ZX, and Lu AP. Enhanced Evidence-Based Chinese Medicine Clinical Practice Guidelines in Hong Kong: A Study Protocol for Three Common Diseases. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015;2015:482706.
- Xiao HT, Zhong LLD, Lin ZS, Bian ZX. Traditional Chinese Medicine Formulas for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: from ancient wisdoms to scientific understandings. Am J Chin Med. 2015;43(1):1-23.
- Yuwen Y, Shi NN, Han XJ, Gao Y, Xu JL, Liu DS, Ng B, Tsui D, Zhong LLD, Ziea E, Bian ZX, Lu AP. Appraisal of clinical practice guidelines for ischemic stroke management in Chinese medicine with appraisal of guidelines for research and evaluation instrument: A systematic review. Chin J Integr Med. 2015;21(9):707-15.
- Wang D, Lu CY, Teng LS, Guo ZH, Meng QF, Liu Y, Zhong LLD, Wang W, Xie J, Zhang ZJ. Therapeutic effects of Chinese herbal medicine against neuroendocrinological diseases especially related to hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal and hypothalamus-pituitary-gonadal axis. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2014 May; 27(3 Suppl):741-54.
- Yu WY, Han XJ, Shi NN, Wang LY, Liao X, Zhong LLD, Bian ZX, Lu AP Appraisal of clinical practice guidelines for the management of rheumatoid arthritis in traditional Chinese medicine using the AGREE II instrument: A systematic review. European Journal of Integrative Medicine 2014 April; (2): 176-185.
- Zhong LLD, Hu DD, Han QB, Xu HX, Bian ZX. Efficacy-driven quality control platform for Chinese herbal medicine. Pharmaceutica Analytica Acta. 5:291. doi:10.4172/2153-2435.1000291
- Zhong LLD, Cheng CW, Wu TX, Li YP, Shang HC, Zhang BL, Tang XD, Lu AP, Bian ZX. Increasing Protocol Design is the Cornerstone for Overall Improvement of Clinical Trials. Chin J Evid-based Med 2013; 13(12): 1500
- Zhong LLD, Cheng CW, Wu TX, Li YP, Shang HC, Zhang BL, Tang XD, Lu AP, Bian ZX. SPIRIT 2013 Statement: Defining standard protocol items for clinical trials [Chinese]. Chin J Evid-based Med 2013; 12: 1501-1507
- Zhong LLD, Cheng CW, Chan Y, Chan KH, Lam TW, Chen XR, Wong CT, Wu JC, Bian ZX. Chinese herbal medicine (Ma Zi Ren Wan) for functional constipation: study protocol for a prospective, double-blinded, double-dummy, randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2013 Nov 4; 14(1):366.
- Zhong LLD, Bian ZX, Gu JH, Zhou X, Tian Y, Mao JC, Chen XJ. Chinese Herbal Medicine (Zi Shen Qing) for Mild-to-Moderate Systematic Lupus Erythematosus: A Pilot Prospective, Single-Blinded, Randomized Controlled Study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013: 327245.
- Zhong LLD, Tong Yao, Grace WK Tang, et al. A randomized double-blinded controlled trial of a Chinese herbal formula (Er-Xian Decoction) for menopausal symptoms in Hong Kong perimenopausal women. Menopause. 2013 Jul;20(7):767-76.
- Zhong LLD, Chen HY, Cho WCS, Meng XM, Tong Y. The Efficacy of Chinese Herbal Medicine as an Adjunctive Therapy for Colorectal Cancer: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis Complement Ther Med. 2012; 20(4): 240-252.
- Yu X, Tong Y, Hin-Fai Kwok F, Cho-Wing Sze S, Zhong LLD, Bik-San Lau C, et al. Anti-angiogenic activity of Erxian Decoction, a traditional Chinese herbal formula, in zebrafish. Biol Pharm Bull. 2012;35(12):2119-27.
- Hu YM, Wang YT, Sze SCW, Tsang KW, Wong HK, Liu Q, Zhong LLD, Tong Y. Identification of the Major Chemical Constituents and Their Metabolites in Rat Plasma and Various Organs after Oral Administration of Effective Erxian Decoction (EXD) Fraction by Liquid Chromatography-mass Spectrometry. Biomed chromatogr. 2010 May; 24 (5): 479-489.
- Zhong LLD. Dr. Chen Xiangjun’s Experience in Using Pair of Drugs to Treat Rheumatic Diseases. J Tradit Chin Med, 2005,25(4):282-289.