Dr KWAN Hiu Yee
- Assistant Professor, Teaching and Research Division
- Focus on nutritional science, and the interplay between obesity and cancer. Discover novel Chinese medicine-based target therapeutics for the treatment of cancers, obesity and its comorbid conditions.
Dr. Hiu Yee KWAN obtained her B.Sc. (Hons.) degree in Biology from the Hong Kong University and Ph.D degree in Physiology in the Faculty of Medicine, the Chinese University of Hong Kong. She received her postdoctoral training in the Department of Nutritional Sciences & Toxicology at the University of California, Berkeley, before joining the School.
Dr. Kwan develops various research platforms to have new insight into the interplay between obesity and cancer, and discover novel herbal-based target therapeutics to treat cancer, obesity and its comorbid conditions. She has published over 60 research papers, review articles, editorials, and book chapter in the areas of oncology, obesity, nutrition, and vascular biology in prestigious journals like Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS), Circulation Research, Journal of Biological Chemistry, Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, FASEB J, Journal of Proteome Research, Scientific Reports, The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, Molecular Cell, Nature Communication and Cell. Currently, Dr. Kwan is an editorial board member for more than 10 international Journals.
Graduate Student, Postdoctoral Fellow and Research Assistant
Inquiries for the posts are always welcome. Please email Dr. Kwan if interested.
[*corresponding author; † sharing first authorship]
- Su T, Huang C, Yang C, Jiang T, Su J, Chen M, Fatima S, Gong R, Hu X, Bian ZX*, Liu Z*, Kwan HY*. (2019) Apigenin inhibits STAT3/CD36 signaling axis and reduces visceral obesity. Pharmacol Res 152:104586 [impact factor: 5.57]
- Fatima S, Hu X, Gong RH, Huang CH, Chen MT, Wong HLX, Bian ZX*, Kwan HY*. (2019) Palmitic acid is an intracellular signaling molecule involved in disease development. Cell Mol Life Sci 76(13): 2547-2557 [impact factor: 7.014]
- Fatima S, Hu XJ, Huang CH, Zhang WX, Cai J, Huang M, Gong RH, Chen MT, Ho AHM, Su T, Wong HLX, Bian ZX*, Kwan HY*. (2019) High fat diet feeding and palmitic acid increase colorectal cancer growth in β2AR-dependent manner. Cell Death Dis 10(10):711 [impact factor: 6.211]
- Kwan HY*, Liu B*, Huang CH, Fatima S, Su T, Zhao XS, Ho AHM, Han QB, Hu X, Gong RH, Chen MT, Wong HLX, Bian ZX*. (2019) Signal transducer and activator of transcription-3 (STAT-3) drives the high fat diet-associated prostate cancer growth. Cell Death Dis 10(9):637 [impact factor: 6.211]
- Tan YQ, Kwan HY, Yao X, Leung LK. (2019) The activity of transient receptor potential channel C-6 modulates the differentiation of fat cells. FASEB J 33(5): 6526-6538. [impact factor: 5.498]
- Cao G, Zhu R, Jiang T, Tang D, Kwan HY, Su T. (2019) Danshensu, a novel indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase1 inhibitor, exerts anti-hepatic fibrosis effects via inhibition of JAK2-STAT3 signaling. Phytomedicine 63:153055. [impact factor: 3.610]
- Chow CFW, Che S, Qin HY, Kwan HY, Bian ZX, Wong HLX. (2019) From psychology to physicality: how nerve growth factor transduces early life stress into gastrointestinal motility disorders later in life. Cell Cycle 18(16):1824-1829. [impact factor: 3.304]
- Wong HLX, Qin HY, Tsang SW, Zuo X, Che S, Cho CFW, Li X, Xiao HT, Zhao L, Huang T, Lin CY, Kwan HY, Yang T, Longo F, Lu AP, Bian Z. (2019) Early life stress disrupts intestinal homeostasis via NGF-TrkA signaling. Nature Commun 10(1): 1745. [impact factor: 12.353]
- Zhao ZZ, Brand E, Kwan HY, Han Q, Zhou M. (2018) Clarifying the origin of Houzao. Chin Med 13:25.
- Vellaisamy K, Li G, Ko CN, Zhong HJ, Fatima S, Kwan HY, Wong CY, Kwong WJ, Tan W, Leung CH, Ma DL. (2018) Cell imaging of dopamine receptor using agonist labeling iridium(III) complex. Chem Sci 9: 1119 [impact factor: 8.668]
- Kwan HY*, Wu JH, Su T, Chao XJ, Yu H, Liu B, Fu X, Tse AK, Chan CL, Fong WF, Yu ZL*. (2017) Schisandrin B regulates lipid metabolism in subcutaneous adipocytes. Sci Rep 7(1): 10266. [impact factor: 5.228]
- Kwan HY*, Wu JH, Su Y, Chao XJ, Liu B, Fu X, Chan CL, Lau RHY, Tse AK, Han QB, Fong WF, Yu ZL*. (2017) Cinnamon induces browning in subcutaneous adipocytes. Sci Reps 26; 7(1): 2447. [impact factor: 5.228]
- Kwan HY*, Chao X, Su T, Fu X, Tse AK, Fong WF, Yu ZL*. (2017) The anti-cancer and anti-obesity effects of Mediterranean diet. Review Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 57(1): 82-94. [impact factor: 6.077]
- Cao HH, Chu JH, Kwan HY†, Su T, Yu H, Cheng CY, Fu XQ, Guo H, Tse AK, Chou GX, Mo HB, Yu ZL. (2016) Inhibition of the STAT3 signaling pathway contributes to apigenin-mediated anti-metastatic effect in melanoma Sci Rep 6: 21731. [impact factor: 5.228]
- Kwan HY, Niu X, Dai W, Tong T, Chao X, Su T, Chan CL, Lee KC, Fu X, Tse AKW, Fong WF, Pan SY, Lu A, Yu ZL. (2015) Lipidomic-based investigation into the regulatory effect of Schisandrin B on palmitic acid level in non-alcoholic steatotic livers. Sci Rep 5: 9114. [impact factor: 5.228]
- Dempersmier J, Sambeat A, Gulyaeva O, Paul SM, Hudak CS, Raposo1 HF, Kwan HY Kang C, Wong RH, Sul HS. (2015) Cold-inducible Zfp516 activates UCP1 transcription to promote browning of white fat and development of brown fat. Mol Cell 57(2): 235-46. [impact factor: 14.464]
- Kwan HY*, Chao X, Su T, Fu XQ, Liu B, Tse AK, Fong WF, Yu ZL*. (2015) Dietary lipids and adipocytes: Potential therapeutic targets in cancers. Review. J Nutr Biochem 26(4): 303-11. [impact factor: 4.592]
- Kwan HY*, Fu X, Liu B, Chao X, Chan CL,Su T, Tse AK, Fong WF, Yu ZL*. (2014) Subcutaneous adipocytes promote melanoma cell growth by activating Akt signaling pathway: Role of palmitic acid. J Biol Chem 289(44): 30525-37. [impact factor: 4.60]
- Kwan HY, Hu YM, Chan CL, Cao HH, Cheng CY, Pan SY, Tse KW, Wu YC, Yu ZL, Fong WF. (2013) Lipidomics identification of metabolic biomarkers in chemically-induced hypertriglyceridemic mice. J Proteome Res 12(3): 1387-98. [impact factor 5.001]
- Kwan HY, Fong WF, Yang Z, Yu ZL, Hsiao WL. (2013) Inhibition of DNA-dependent protein kinase reduced palmitate and oleate-induced lipid accumulation in HepG2 cells. Eur J Nutr 52(6): 1621-30. [impact factor 4.449]
- Kwan HY, Yang ZJ, Fong WF, Hu YM, Yu ZL, Hsiao WL. (2013) The anticancer effect of oridonin is mediated by fatty acid synthase suppression in colorectal cancer cells. J Gastroenterol 48(2): 182-92. [impact factor: 4.020]
- Shen B, Kwan HY, Ma X, Wong CO, Du J, Huang Y, Yao X. (2011) cAMP activates TRPC6 channels via the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K)-protein kinase B (PKB)-mitogen-activated protein kinase (MEK)-ERK1/2 signaling pathway. J Biol Chem 286(22): 19439-45. [impact factor: 4.60]
- Wong RH, Chang I, Hudak CS, Hyun S, Kwan HY, Sul HS. (2009) A role of DNA-PK for the metabolic gene regulation in response to insulin. Cell 136(6): 1056-72. [impact factor: 33.116]
- Kwan HY, Shen B, Ma X, Kwok YC, Huang Y, Man YB, Yu S, Yao X. (2009) TRPC1 associates with BKca channel to form a signal complex in vascular smooth muscle cells. Circ Res 104(5): 670-78. [impact factor: 11.089]
- Kwan HY*, Wong CO, Chen ZY, Chan TWD, Huang Y, Yao X. (2009). Stimulation of histamine H2 receptor activates TRPC3 channels through both phospholipase C and phospholipase D. Eur J Pharmacol 602(2-3): 181-87.
- Kwan HY, Huang Y and Yao X. (2007). TRP channels in endothelial function and dysfunction. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1772(8): 907-14. [impact factor: 4.936]
- Kwan HY, Huang Y, Yao X. (2006). Protein kinase C can inhibit TRPC3 channels indirectly via stimulating protein kinase G. J Cell Physiol 207(2): 315-21. [impact factor: 4.522]
- Kwan HY, Huang Y, Yao X. (2004). Regulation of canonical transient receptor potential isoform 3 (TRPC3) channel by protein kinase G. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101(8): 625-30. [impact factor: 9.809]
- Kwan HY, Leung PC, Huang Y, Yao X. (2003). Depletion of intracellular Ca2+ stores sensitizes the flow-induced Ca2+ influx in rat endothelial cells. Circ Res 92(3): 286-92. [impact factor: 11.089]
- Yao X, Kwan HY, Chan FL, Chan NW, Huang Y. (2000). A protein kinase G-sensitive channel mediates flow-induced Ca2+ entry into vascular endothelial cells. FASEB J 14(7): 932-38. [impact factor: 5.480]
- Kwan HY, Huang Y, Yao X. (2000). Store-operated calcium entry in vascular endothelial cells is inhibited by cGMP via a protein kinase G-dependent mechanism. J Biol Chem. 275(10): 6758-63. [Impact factor: 4.60]