Dr YUE Kin Man, Kevin
- Associate Director and Associate Professor, Teaching and Research Division
- Expert in Diabetes and Biomedical Sciences
Dr Yue is an expert in biomedical science and specialized in research of diabetes. Dr Yue graduated from the University of Liverpool, United Kingdom and he subsequently obtained his PhD degree in Biochemistry at the same university. He conducted his post-doctoral research at the Universities of Leicester and Manchester. Before joining the Hong Kong Baptist University, Dr. Yue was a Lecturer in Clinical Biochemistry of the Medical School at the Queen's University of Belfast, United Kingdom. Dr Yue currently teaches Physiology and Internal Medicine (Endocrine disorders and Diabetes; Renal diseases) in our School.
With his increasing interest in Chinese medicine, Dr. Yue subequently got a bachelor degree in Chinese Medicine at the Hong Kong Baptist University, and he is now a registered Chinese Medicine Practitioner. He is currently pursuing another doctoral degree on Chinese medicine.
Dr Yue's research focuses on diabetes and diabetic complications, which includes the molecular basis of the pathogenesis of different complications and the use of Chinese herbs in the treatment of diabetic complications. Recently Dr Yue also studied the correlation between diabetes and osteoporosis, diabetes and bone fracture healing, diabetes and Alzheimer's disease.
- KM Lee, CY Lee, G Zhang, A Lyu and KKM Yue (2019). Methylglyoxal Activates Osteoclasts through JNK Pathway Leading to Osteoporosis. Chemico-Biological Interactions, 308, 147-154.
- N. Tso, C.Y. Lee, K.M. Lee, W.Y. Li, H.Y. Kwan and K.K.M. Yue (2019). Panax Notoginseng Enhances Wound Healing Efficiency and Quality on diabetic rats. HSOA J. Alt, Compl & Int. Med. (in press)
- K Yue, KM Lee, CY Lee, G Zhang, A Lyu (2019). The Dataset of Methylglyoxal Activating p38 and p44/42 Pathway in Osteoclast. Data in Brief (in press).
- Kevin K Yue, Lisa Y Law, HL Chan, Jade B Chan, Elaine Y Wong, Theresa F Kwong, Eva Y Wong (2017). Enhancing Residential Student Leadership Training with Appropriate Augmented Reality M-Learning Trail Design. e-Book ‘IAmLearning: Mobilizing and Supporting Educator Practice’. (Best Chapter Award)
- Theresa Kwong, Eva Y. W. Wong, Kevin K M Yue (2017). Bringing Abstract Academic Integrity and Ethical Concepts into Real-Life Situations. Technology, Knowledge, and Learning, 22(7), 1-16.
- Chu JM, Lee DK, Wong DP, Wong GT and Yue KK (2016). Methylglyoxal-induced neuroinflammatory response in in vitro astrocytic cultures and hippocampus of experimental animals. Metabolic Brain Diseases, 31 (5), 1055-1064.
- Guo H, Niu X, Gu Y, Lu C, Xiao C, Yue K, Zhang G, Pan X, Jiang M, Tan Y, Kong H, Liu Z, Xu G and Lu A (2016). Differential Amino Acid, Carbohydrate and Lipid Metabolism Perpetuations Involved in a Subtype of Rheumatoid Arthritis with Chinese Medicine Cold Pattern. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 17 (10), E1757.
- Zhang, H.Q., Cheung, C.H., Tu, F., Huang, F.L., O, L., Song, L., Xu, G., Law, H., Chong, K. and Yue, K.K.M. (2016). Service Learning for Whole Person Education in Chinese Medicine Developed by a Community of Practice. Learning Communities Journal, 8 (2), 145-170.
- Cheung, S.Y., Yue, K.K., Kwong, T., Lau, P., Ng, A., Lo, Y., Yung, K., Chu, C., Siu, N., Choi, P., Ng, M. (2016). Using a Community of Practice to Enhance Students’ Graduate Attributes through Problem-based Learning. Learning Communities Journal, 8 (2), 71-92.
- Liu J, Dang L, Li D, Liang C, He X, Wu H, Qian A, Yang Z, Au DW, Chiang MW, Zhang BT, Han Q, Yue KK, Zhang H, Lv C, Pan X, Xu J, Bian Z, Shang P, Tan W, Liang Z, Guo B, Lu A, Zhang G (2015). A delivery system specifically approaching bone resorption surfaces to facilitate therapeutic modulation of microRNAs in osteoclasts. Biomaterials, 52, 148-160.
- Liang C, Guo B, Wu H, Shao N, Li D, Liu J, Dang L, Wang C, Li H, Li S, Lau WK, Cao Y, Yang Z, Lu C, He X, Au DW, Pan X, Zhang BT, Lu C, Zhang H, Yue K.K, Qian A, Shang P, Xu J, Xiao L, Bian Z, Tan W, Liang Z, He F, Zhang L, Lu A, Zhang G (2015). Aptamer- functionalized lipid nanoparticles targeting osteoblasts as a novel RNA interference-based bone anabolic strategy. Nature Medicine, 21, 288-294.
- Chu, J.M., Lee, D.K., Wong, D..P, Wong, R.N., Yung, K.K., Cheng, C.H., Yue, K.K.M. (2014). Ginsenosides attenuate methylglyoxal-induced impairment of insulin signaling and subsequent apoptosis in primary astrocytes. Neuropharmacology, 85:215-23.
- Guo, B., Zhang, B., Zheng, L., Tang, T., Liu, J., Wu, H., Yang, Z., Peng, S., He, X., Zhang, H., Yue, K.K.M., He, F., Zhang, L., Qin, L., Bian, Z., Tan, W., Liang, Z., Lu, A., Zhang, G. (2014). Therapeutic RNA interference targeting CKIP-1 with a cross-species sequence to stimulate bone formation. Bone, 59:76-88.
- Wong, D.P.K., Chu, J.M.T., Hung, V.K.L., Lee, D.K.M., Cheng, C.H.K., Yung, K.K.L. and Yue, K.K.M. (2013). Modulation of Endoplasmic Reticulum Chaperone GRP78 by High Glucose in Hippocampus of Streptozotocin-induced Diabetic Mice and C6 Astrocytic Cells. Neurochemistry International, 63(6):551-560.
- Chan, G.H.H., Law, B.Y.K., Chu, J.M.T., Yue, K.K.M., Jiang, Z.H., Lau, C.W., Chan, S.W., Yue, P.Y.T. and Wong, R.N.S. (2013). Ginseng Extracts Restore High-gluocse Induced Vascular Dysfunctions by Altering Triglyceride Metabolism and Down-regulation of Atherosclerosis-related Genes. Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2013:797310.
- Cho, W.C.S., Yip, T-T., Chung, W-S., Lee, S.K.W., Leung, A.W.N., Cheng, C.H.K. and Yue, K.K.M. (2006). Altered expression of serum protein in ginsenoside Re treated diabetic rats detected by SELDI-TOF MS. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 108, 272-279.
- Cho, W.C.S., Chung, W.S., Lee, S.K., Leung, A.W.N., Cheng, C.H.K. and Yue, K.K.M. (2006). Ginsenoside Re of Panax ginseng possess significant antioxidant and antihyperlidemic efficacies in streptozotocin-induce diabetic rats. European Journal of Pharmacology , 550, 173-9.
- Cho, W.C.S., Yip, T-T., Chung, W-S., Leung, A.W.N., Cheng, C.H.K. and Yue, K.K.M. (2006). Differential expression of proteins in the kidney, eye, aorta and serum of diabetic and non-diabetic rats. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry , 99, 256-268.
- Ha, W.Y., Li, X.J., Yue, P.Y.K., Wong, D.Y.L., Yue, K.K.M., Chung, W.S., Zhao, L., Leung, P.Y., Liu, L. and Wong, R.N.S. (2006). Gene expression profiling of human synovial sarcoma cell line (Hs701.T) in response to IL-1 stimulation. Inflammation Research, 55, 1-7.
- Yue, K.K.M., Lee, K.W., Leung, A.W.N., Chan, K.K.C., Leung, K.S.Y. and Cheng, C.H.K. (2006). Danshen prevents the occurrence of oxidative stress in eyes and aorta of diabetic rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 106, 136-141.
- Cho, WCS, Yip, TT, Chung, WS, Leung AWN, Cheng, CHK and Yue, K.K.M. (2006). Potential biomarkers identified by proteomic profiling may provide insight for the macrovascular pathogenesis of diabetes mellitus. Disease Markers , 22, 153-166.
- Yue, K.K.M., Leung, S.N., Man, P.M., Yeung, W.F., Chung, W.S., Lee, K.W., Leung, A.W.N. and Cheng, C.H.K. (2005). Alterations in antioxidant enzyme activities in the eye, aorta and kidney of diabetic rats relevant to the onset of oxidative stress. Life Sciences, 77, 721-34.
- Koon, H.K., Leung, A.W.N., Yue, K.K.M. and Mak, N.K. (2005). Photodynamic effect of curcumin on NPC/CNE2 cells. Journal of Enviromental Pathology, Toxicology & Oncology, 25, 1-11.
- Cho, WCS, Yue K.K.M and Leung A.W.N. (2005). An outline of diabetes mellitus and its treatments by traditional Chinese medicine. Journal of Chinese Medicine, 78, 29-37.
- Cho, W.C.S., Yue, K.K.M. and Leung, A.W.N. (2005). Proteomics- Leading the postgenome era. China Biotechnology, 25, 33-38.
- Cho, W.C.S., Yue, K.K.M. and Leung, A.W.N. (2004). An outline of obesity and its therapy by Chinese and western medicine. Chinese Journal of Traditional and Western Medicine, 24, 3073-3075.
- Yue, K.K.M., Chung, W.S., Leung, A.W.N. and Cheng, C.H.K. (2003). Redox changes precede the occurrence of oxidative stress in eyes and aorta, but not in kidneys of diabetic rats. Life Sciences, 73, 2557-2570.
- Sharpe, P.C., Yue, K.K.M., McMaster, D, Catherwood, M.A., Trimble, E.R. (1998). The Role of Glucose-Induced Oxidative Stress on Growth and Extracellular Matrix Gene Expression of Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells. Diabetologia, 41, 1210-1219.
- Sharpe, P.C., Liu, W.H., Yue, K.K.M., McMaster, D, Catherwood, M.A., McGuinty, A., Trimble, E.R. (1998). Glucose-Induced Oxidative Stress in Vascular Contractile Cells: Comparison of Aortic Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells and Retinal Capillary Pericytes. Diabetes, 47, 801-809.
- Chidgey, M.A.J., Yue, K.K.M., Gould, S, Byrne, C., Garrod, D.R. (1997). Changing Pattern of Desmocollin 3 Expression Accompanies Epidermal Organisation During Skin Development. Developmental Dynamics, 210, 315-327.
- Sharpe, P.C., Yue, K.K.M., Catherwood, M.A., McMaster, D., Trimble, E.R. (1996). Glucose- induced Oxidative Stress in Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells. Diabetologia, 39, 1078-1078.
- Yue, K.K.M., Holton, J.L., Clarke., J.P., Hyam, J.I.M., Hashimoto, T., Chidgey, M.A.J., Garrod, D.R. (1995). Characterisation of a Desmocollin Isoform (Bovine DSC3) Exclusively Expressed in the Lower Layers of Stratified Epithelia. Journal of Cell Science, 108, 2163-2173.
- Hashimoto T, Amagai M, Watanabe K, Dmochowski M, Chidgey MA, Yue KK, Garrod DR, Nishikawa T. (1995). A case of pemphigus vulgaris showing reactivity with pemphigus antigens (Dsg1 and Dsg3) and desmocollins. Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 104(4), 541-544.
- Dmochowski M, Hashimoto T, Chidgey MA, Yue KK, Wilkinson RW, Nishikawa T, Garrod DR. (1995). Demonstration of antibodies to bovine desmocollin isoforms in certain pemphigus sera. British Journal of Dermatology, 133(4), 519-525.
- Legan, P.K., Yue, K.K.M., Chidgey, M.A.J., Holton, J.L., Wilkinson, R.W., Garrod, D.R. (1994). The Bovine Desmocollin Family: A New Gene and Expression Patterns Reflecting Epithelial Cell Proliferation and Differentiation. Journal of Cell Biology, 126, 507-518.
- Holland IB, Possot O, Blight M, Yue K. (1991). Bacterial haemolysin and mammalian P-glycoprotein. Biochemical Society Transaction, 19(2), 252-255.