Affiliation at the time of the Award:
- Director and Chief Researcher of the Institute of Chinese Materia Medica, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences (ICMM, CACMS)
- Director of the World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Traditional Medicine
- Academician of International Eurasian Academy of Sciences (IEAS)
- Vice-President of the Consortium for Globalization of Chinese Medicine (CGCM)
- Visiting professor of Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Sciences
- Honorary Professor of School of Chinese Medicine, Hong Kong Baptist University
Professor Chen Shilin dedicates himself to the work on quality assurance and authentication of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). He laid the foundation of developing Herbgenomics as a discipline by developing a DNA barcoding system based on ITS2, psbA-trnH and COI which solved the long-standing problem of authentication of Chinese herbal medicine from the genetic perspective. Apart from having sequenced a large number of medicinal organism genomics including those of Ganoderma lucidum and Panax Ginseng, he has also obtained certificates of new cultivar for eight medicinal plants and established a pollution-free and precision breeding system which helped reduce the use of fertiliser/pesticide in the breeding process of herbs and safeguard human health from chemical toxic threats. Under Professor Chen's leadership, the "Global Pharmacopoeia Genome Database" (GPGD) was launched in 2021, which gave scientists across the globe a leg up for the genetic research of traditional herbs.
Professor Chen has published more than 500 academic articles on world-renowned academic journals including but not limited to Science, Nature Communications, Molecular Plant, PNAS. With a total citation count of more than 25,000 in Google Scholar with an H-index of 73, Professor Chen has been selected into the list of Chinese Highly Cited Researchers released by Elsevier for six consecutive years since 2014. He won numerous awards including three Second Prize of The State Scientific and Technological Progress Awards, Wu Jieping Medical Innovation Award, First Prize of International Award for Contribution to Chinese Medicine Science and Technology Progress Award by the World Federation of Chinese Medicine Societies in 2018.